Important Things Happen (Kitty)

Go down

Important Things Happen (Kitty)

Post  Cerulaen on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 am

Daquiri let out a sigh once she and Cat had gotten far enough into the woods to leave camp behind. Things had been crazy since everyone woke up that morning, what with the campers visiting for the break and the oh-so-important meeting taking place. It seemed to be all anyone could talk about, and Daquiri was getting tired of glaring at people and telling them to shut up when they tried to get into a conversation with her about it.

"I don't get what people are so worked up about," she muttered to Cat. "Most of them aren't even going." While the redhead didn't care about the meeting at all, a part of her did want to get out of the camp. Hanging around the same place for so long tended to drive her a little crazy. But at the same time, she wouldn't want to be stuck in a group with anyone other than Cat. And since neither of them were obviously going to lead a quest, it was pretty obvious the whole idea was out of the question.
Cerulaen
Match Maker

Drachmae : 3030

Character sheet
Olympian Parent: Aphrodite
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Important Things Happen (Kitty)

Post  Catryn Greyling on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:47 am

Cat was lost in thought. Considering she was in the woods, it was probably very dangerous, and not at all a good idea. Considering she had Daquiri Laurens with her, it was probably okay.

As all demigods did, Cat had nightmares, or at least very weird dreams. None of them had any significance or meaning to them before, which probably meant Cat wasn't a very important demigod (depressing and relieving all at the same time). They were just weird, random flashes of events, things Cat didn't recognize and sometimes couldn't even remember when she woke - and that was always frustrating.
     Last night, that had changed. She reflected upon the dream, where she had been riding shotgun in a red sports car.
     It had been a Maserati, she knew, though she wasn't sure how she had known that. Then she had realized something she probably should've noted first: the car was driving through the sky.
     Her dream-self had decided to catalogue that fact as 'perfectly normal'.
     "Sweet ride, I know," the driver had then said.
     She had turned to size up the young man - a blond twenty-something-year-old dude with a confident smile and casual demeanor. He had been acting so casual, he hadn't even been actually driving.
     The man had chosen to shoot arrows at distant targets Cat couldn't see instead of keep his hands on the wheel, which, apparently, was perfectly fine. The flying car kept going. Where are we going, anyway? Cat's dream-self had wondered.
     "This baby's heading west, only west," the guy had said, as if he had read her mind. "It's a tedious job, driving the sun, but, ah... interesting."
     Driving the sun. Her dream-self had been slow to absorb that, but when it did, a horrible idea had started dawning upon Cat.
     "Don't know if this makes sense, but this car is made from the hopes and needs that the mortals pin on the sun." He grinned wickedly, like he was about to throw a hilarious punchline. "I guess you could say it's the essence of the sun, and everything it represents." His eyes widened for a moment, and he started counting on his fingers. "E-ssence - of - the - sun. Five syllables. I could use that."
     Cat remembered frowning at him, hoping she was wrong about who this odd guy was.
     Her dream-self had then tugged her vision to something flying to their right, quite a bit lower than the solar car. Its head and wings were that of a bald eagle's, but it was attached to the body of what Cat decided was a lion. A griffin. Riding on the griffin's back was a girl with curly blonde hair and black clothes. Cat couldn't remember what she had looked like besides those two things, especially since she had been at a distance, but she had a feeling the girl had not been happy.
     "So I got your prayer." The driver had started talking again at that point, and his words had pretty much confirmed what Cat had been hoping was not true. She almost grimaced again, remembering that moment.
     Then the driver started twirling a sword that had not been there before, and held it out to Cat. "Here." When she had reached out for it, the dream had melted away and she found herself waking up.

She stared down at her pocket knife now, flicking out the small Celestial bronze blade. Her mother had given it to her when she started walking home from school, insisting she must use it in case of emergencies. She had never noticed the bronze glow - thanks to the stupid magical Mist she kept hearing about - and had never guessed her mother could've meant something more than the typical ill-meaning mortal. And now...
     "So... remember when I told you I wanted to learn to excel at something that didn't come from my father's skills, like maybe swordplay instead of archery?" she asked Daquiri. "Well, I threw some garlic bread in the fire last night and told my dad the same thing, and, well..." The brunette looked down at her pocket knife again, and with a deep breath, willed it to change form.
     Soon, the small red thing had become three feet of Celestial bronze in her hand, with a smoothly curving golden crossguard and pommel - she wasn't sure if it was actual gold, as she had heard from some Hephaestus camper that Celestial bronze and regular metals didn't mix - along with a black leather hilt. There was a simple sun design engraved smoothly into the center of the crossguard, and the word οὐσία etched on the pommel. Ousia. Essence.
     She offered it out for the redhead to see. "He answered."
Catryn Greyling

Drachmae : 878

Character sheet
Olympian Parent: Apollo
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cerulaen on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 am

Daquiri hadn't really been expecting Cat to answer her rather rhetorical comments, especially since they'd more been mutterings to herself. It wasn't until she actually spoke up that she realized Cat's thoughts had been completely elsewhere. The redhead studied her friend's pocket knife as it elongated into a full-blown sword. After so many months here at camp, little transformations like that didn't freak her out so much anymore.

The point of the blade dipped a bit when Daquiri took the sword up in hand, it taking her a moment to adjust to its weight. There was a reason she didn't like fighting with weapons more than half the length of her body. Even if she hadn't known who Cat's father was, it was made pretty obvious who the sword was made by just at first glance. She translated the Greek on the pommel: Essence. Interesting.

Looking back up at Cat, she arched an eyebrow. "Your dad gave you this for garlic bread? He must have pretty low standards." Then, in a more serious tone, "You know you don't have to prove anything to me about the way you fight, right?" She still remembered goading Cat on that night. She wondered if Cat was still running on that challenge.
Cerulaen
Match Maker

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catryn Greyling on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:19 am

Cat smiled wryly at Daquiri's comment about the garlic bread. "Hey, garlic bread's not too bad."
     Raising a slight eyebrow at her next sentence, she shook her head a little, still smiling a little. "Oh, well, that's a relief," she said with a hint of sarcasm. "But, ah, this is more about... proving something to myself. Natural talents are great and all, but hey, who doesn't love a challenge?"
     Taking back her sword, she willed it back into pocket knife form and slipped it back into her pocket. "This way, when I get really good, I can be proud of myself for training so hard and learning something new, from scratch." I hope, she thought, sending a silent warning to her dad not to interfere. To be honest, she really doubted he'd be sending anything else to her anyway. He helped her pull off a cool archery move and gave her a sword. Another kid off the checklist. That was probably how it worked with the gods.
     "Also," she added lightly, "archery is good for long distance, but if a monster gets too close, I better know how to use a sword properly. Otherwise I'm demigod toast."
     She paused, wondering if she should keep talking, then opted to continue. Daquiri was her friend now, and weren't friends supposed to tell each other stuff? Cat had never had a real friend in the mortal world. They always ended up turning their backs sooner or later (mostly sooner). She was aware that demigods could very likely be like that as well, but they were more or less in the same boat. And she felt like she could trust Daquiri. After all, somehow, she had earned the temperamental redhead's trust too. So as long as she didn't annoy the girl, she might as well get into this friendship thing and get everything off her chest. "And there's something more exhilarating, I think, with a sword. Or a knife, for that matter. More dangerous, yes, as you're fighting in closer quarters, but there's a bigger rush than you'd get taking down your enemies from afar, one arrow at a time. Or multiple arrows at a time," she corrected, remembering her more experienced half-siblings.
     She tapped her fingers against her leg restlessly, then pulled Ousia back out. She flicked the little blade out absently, then pushed it back in.

----------------------

[Ermagerd, guys, it's Livia. Dun dun duuuun!]

Livia crept through the forest silently, alert for any movement around her. The woods were dark. Who know what could be lurking about? Feeling as nervous as she was, she froze instantly upon picking up two voices. She quickened her pace, hand drifting to her sword.
     It wasn't too long before she caught sight of the source of the voices. Two girls - demigods, Livia thought - were talking in the distance. Positioning herself behind a tree about ten yards away, she peeked out and gave them each a quick once-over: a brunette with a Celestial bronze sword in hand, wearing cargo pants that appeared to hold a number of things in its pockets; and a shorter redhead who was dressed more for style, not combat, although she did have an elaborate dagger sheathed at her side. She scowled in contempt. Probably an Aphrodite kid. Livia had known one in the Amazons. She hadn't been very strong.
     Her time with the Amazons hadn't been completely useless, she thought as she maneuvered closer to the pair, keeping close to the ground. She was about five yards away now, and, with a stealth she proudly knew was unmatched by most, she leaped up the nearest tree and hid among its branches. Here, she could see them even more clearly, and could make out their voices if she strained her ears just a little.

Last edited by Catryn Greyling on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Catryn Greyling

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cerulaen on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Daquiri considered the girl's words, pursing her lips in silent thought. She had been learning archery ever since she joined Camp, along with sword-fighting, but didn't like either as much as she preferred fighting with Omorfiáímatos. That, and she'd been practicing charmspeaking a lot lately. She tried to not make it too obvious, since she figured it could really come in handy one day.

Looking at Cat, she lifted her shoulders a bit in a shrug. "So long as you don't give a d*** what anybody else thinks. That'll get you nowhere in life." Then she gave a slight pause, and gave Cat a sidelong glance. "Is it even possible to shoot multiple arrows on one bow string?" She snorted lightly. "Then again, I can talk people into stabbing thems--" she cut herself off, not having meant to mention her charmspeak. She'd just gone over how she'd wanted to keep that on the down low, d***it. She stayed silent, however, not attempting to switch the topic.

((And it can be made clear that Ri will still insist on keeping secrets and such, finally having a friend or not...))
Cerulaen
Match Maker

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catryn Greyling on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:42 pm

[Lawl, Cat will have certain secrets too, like when she starts liking Jericho.
[[Cat: Wait, what?]]
Nothing, nothing. *grins evilly*]

Cat nodded in agreement to Daquiri's statement about not caring too much what others thought, extending Ousia into sword form again. But when her friend started a sentence about talking people into stabbing and didn't finish it... She raised an eyebrow. Well. Clearly the word she had cut off on was "themselves", so... talking people into stabbing themselves.

Cat had no idea what to make of that.

So, she ignored it. That seemed to be what Daquiri was attempting to do as well, anyway. And if her friend had a disturbing tendency and ability to convince others to stab themselves, she really didn't want to know.
     "...Yeah," she said. "Apparently some of my more experienced cabinmates are capable of that. Seriously, the gifts of an Apollo kid. It turns out my javelin throwing skills are one of those 'gifts' as well. Children of Apollo are proficient with their aim in general, not just archery. And if that's not enough, we have an aptitude for athletics in general, and music, and healing." She made a short, frustrated motion with her sword (not towards her friend, of course). "I don't even do healing. Athletics, yes, and music... means a lot to me." She scowled at her sword. "It's like everything I am... is not even me. It's my dad."
     She realized she had started to go on a little bit of a rant, and discreetly took a deep breath. Knowing Daquiri's perceptiveness, she wondered if the girl had noticed anyway.
     "I'm just a little frustrated right now, I'll get over it," she grumbled, half to herself. She turned her sword over and scratched at the engraved sun on the other side.

---------

As the girls talked, the brunette changed her weapon's form from three-foot sword to pocket knife, then back again, seemingly bored. Livia sneered. How stupid did one have to be to drop their guard in a forest like this? Nor were weapons something you could just play with at random times. What she was doing was extremely pointless, anyway. What the redhead was saying, however, was much more interesting. A charmspeaker, was she? She had heard about those. They were rare, and could magically sway people's thoughts with a single word. She'd have to be a bit more careful around that girl than she thought.
     Edgar suddenly popped into her mind, and she muttered a spell under her breath, and she saw him in the clearing where she'd left him, ruffling his feathers. She hoped he would not get curious and start exploring the forest; griffins were such restless creatures. Or perhaps it was just him. Either way, caring for him was tiresome. But leaving him on his own was unthinkable.
     Quickly, she returned her focus to the demigods.
     "-Healing," the brunette was saying as she made a reckless motion with her sword for emphasis.
     Livia's interest went up. She studied the girl more carefully, then, straining her eyes, she saw a tiny engraving of a sun on the girl's sword hilt. A daughter of the god of the sun... and healing. Was it possible that the sword had magical properties associated with Apollo? A few possible uses flashed through her mind... one more important than the others. Livia's mind was already made up. She wanted that sword.

Last edited by Catryn Greyling on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Catryn Greyling

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cerulaen on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 am

((Let's see if I can remember my train of thought.))

Daquiri looped her thumbs through the belt loops of her navy matelot jeans, a sour expression marring her face. "I know what you mean," she muttered. She gave a noise of disgust. "People here don't even have to meet me to know whose godly spawn I am." She resisted the urge to draw Omorfiaimatos to look at her reflection in its blade. This was exactly what she had been angrily throwing her dagger over several months ago when that other girl, Wes--Cat's half-sister, now that she thought about it. Huh.--had practically come looking to pick a fight with her. The Apollo counselor had done the exact thing most everyone else did: assumed things about and judged her completely off of her looks and the fact that she had the unfortunate circumstance of being Aphrodite's daughter. That was possibly the part she hated most about being related to the Love Goddess.

"The first day I woke up here, the Athena cabin leader immediately predicted I was Aphrodite's kid," she said, her voice lower and her eyes slightly unfocused as she thought back to that day in July. She wrinkled her nose at her own behavior and shook her head, her gaze hardening again. "It doesn't even matter what other talents I may or may not have. And I think thats f***ing messed up."

((You know Ri's really mad/upset when she starts swearing like that...))
Cerulaen
Match Maker

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catryn Greyling on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:07 am

Cat's eyes lightened in sympathy. 
     "It is," she agreed, ignoring the profanity, "especially since you're so much more than that." She smirked. "Quite frankly, I'm really glad we're friends, because I would not want to be the sucker who gets stuck on the other end of your blade. 'Cause if I know one thing, you're much fiercer than your cabinmates, and much stronger than people give you credit for." She tapped a finger on her sword hilt, then added confidently, "One day they'll regret ever doubting you." And she really did believe that. The redhead might be a little on the short side, but the girl could still probably murder someone just by glaring at them. And Cat had a strange feeling that Daquiri was going to get a chance to prove herself a warrior, soon.
     And about proving one's own fierceness... She was reminded of a story she had heard around camp a while ago... "Y'know, I heard that you kicked the Hephaestus counselor, Jake, in the crotch." She raised an eyebrow questioningly, asking without words the circumstances of the event.
Catryn Greyling

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cerulaen on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:27 am

Daquiri stayed silent through Cat’s compliments. Even though she did consider her and Cat…friends now, the term still felt estranged to her. She wasn’t really sure how this whole relationship was going to pan out. She just muttered a half-hearted, “Yeah,” in response to Cat’s motivational speech.

When a few slightly awkward, silent moments passed, though, Cat brought up a completely unrelated topic—one that made Daquiri snort abruptly. At Cat’s querying look, she just shrugged. “He was being an a**hole. “ She rolled her eyes. “Most of the guys here are,” she added, half muttering. She lifted her chin with a renewed fierceness in her eyes, however, when she thought back to his words. What he had called her.

B***ard.

“I don’t think anyone has been as high on my hate list for quite some time,” a cold edge creeping into her voice just thinking about her encounters with him.

Last edited by Cerulaen on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Cerulaen
Match Maker

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catryn Greyling on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:54 am

Cat was suddenly reminded of the time she had met Jake. Daquiri had been there too. She grimaced inwardly when she replayed the disastrous events - Daquiri slapping Jake (twice), stomping on his foot, and rapidly spewing profanities in a different language as she stormed out of the amphitheatre. How many times, exactly, had her friend beat up the poor kid?
     She didn't think Jake was so bad. He seemed like a pretty cool guy, easy to talk to, easy to get along with. Then again, she knew how easy it was to get on the redhead's bad side. She wondered what he had done, exactly, that had made her kick him in the crotch, and put him so high on her 'hate list'. Hopefully, he'd started to make sure to keep a safe distance from Daquiri since then. The last thing either of them needed was to get stuck in the same room together. If anyone knew what was good for them, they'd make sure not to let that happen.

[Let's not let them get stuck in the same place, thought Cat before she got them stuck on a quest together.]

She searched quickly for an appropriate response. Perhaps the best thing to do would just be to acknowledge it and move on. She was good at moving on.

"Ah, well. Shall we keep walking?" she asked politely, a subtle, gentle tone suggesting that they move on from the unfavorable topics.
You brought it up, she told herself. Yes, and clearly it was a bad idea. Now stop talking to yourself.
Catryn Greyling

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cerulaen on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:26 am

Daquiri pressed her lips together. Cat was giving her an opening to move on from the sour subject and continue this little friend-bonding moment, but she was decidedly no longer in the mood. She didn't normally open up to people about anything, even if it was just her excessive hatred towards other individuals, and doing so now was leaving a bad taste in her mouth. She still wasn't used to this.

"Nah," she told Cat, suddenly wishing she was wearing something with pockets so she had somewhere to put her hands, "I think I'm out for the day." She just needed some time to be alone again. She could only stand being around people for so long, after all. "I'm gonna head back," she said. "I'll see you later." She didn't give Cat much of a chance to respond before cutting back between the trees by herself, heading back a slightly different way than from whence they came. She hoped Cat at least knew enough about her to know not to try walk with her back. There were times when she just stopped wanting to deal with anyone.

((...aaaaand Daquiri has exited stage left. Have fun with Livvie, Cat.))
Cerulaen
Match Maker

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Catryn Greyling on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:30 am

[Haha, Livvie will have fun, at least. xP]

Cat watched Daquiri walk off for a second before turning away, taking a deep breath. She let it out in a sort of sigh, letting herself relax fully for a moment before continuing down the path in a comfortable yet guarded silence. After all, she was still in a forest full of deadly creatures, who were put in there by people trying to create a safe environment. Yeah. Still not weird.
    So yeah, it was a nice little walk, aside from the fact that she had to make sure nothing was going to jump out of the shadows and slaughter her randomly. Being alone now, she had to be more alert, yet she also felt a bit more at ease--not that she didn’t like Daquiri’s company. Having a friend was weird--so weird, when she thought about it--especially when the friend was one as intimidating as the redheaded demigod, and she was still unsure about it sometimes, like when the girl had dismissed her so curtly and left without another word. She couldn’t pretend that didn’t sting a little, but she knew that was just how Daquiri was. And hey, after all that talking, it was good to have complete silence. Complete... eerie... silence. Cat found herself looking over her shoulder a little more often.
    The path eventually found its way to the river, and Cat took it as her cue to go back. As she turned, she heard a voice come from nowhere.
    “Hey.”
    Cat tightened her already-firm grip on her sword and looked around. A few yards away, an older camper was crouched in a tree, looking down at her.
    She appeared about 17 or so, with curly blonde hair and pale skin. She had all black clothing--a tank top, a leather vest, leather skinny jeans, and high tops with studs, like some sort of biker girl. A longsword hung in a sheath at her right side, and a backpack was slung over one shoulder. The fact that she lacked sleeves meant her muscular arms were left visible, so Cat didn’t doubt that she could handle her weapon with no problem. She had a cold, serious look to her, but she seemed to be struggling to appear friendly. The resulting expression was somewhat unnerving.
    “Hey,” she replied, wary, but keeping her voice light. Just because she looked like she was part of a biker gang didn’t mean she had bad intentions. After all, she was a camper too. If they let her stay here, she probably wasn’t evil. Probably. The place was crazy anyway, so who knew?
    The girl jumped out of the tree and landed soundly on her feet. For a second, the two demigods stared at each other, measuring each other up. Then, as Cat opened her mouth to say something, the girl drew her weapon.
    “It’s probably best not to overcomplicate this,” she said. “Hand over your sword.”
    Cat stepped back. “Um…”
    The girl’s eyes flashed dangerously. “We can do this the hard way.”
    Cat’s mind raced. “Oh, no, that’s not necessary. But is there a particular reason you want me to hand over my sword…?”
    “That is none of your concern.”
    Yes, it is. Cat almost had to bite her tongue to keep herself from saying that aloud. But it really was.
    “I don’t have time for this,” the girl practically snarled.
    She held up her longsword, which had a black hilt, and somehow, also a strange black blade, except for the Celestial bronze edges. “Just give me the sword!” She stepped forward menacingly, and Cat raised Ousia defensively. The girl’s eyes glinted, and Cat hardly had enough time to think, Oh, sh-
    The girl lunged at her, giant blade flashing. Cat just barely managed to dodge, letting out a yelp. Her heart was pounding. She knew she had no shot at winning this. Cat had gotten her sword last night. This wackadoo, whoever she was, was clearly stronger, faster, and had much more experience in swordfighting. She started to panic.
    I really hate this camp.

-------------

The brown-haired girl seemed to realize she was desperately outmatched. For a moment, Livia thought she was going to make a break for it, and she took a step forward, raising Shadow’s Revenge. Instead, the girl hesitated for a split second, then lunged out with her bronze sword. It was much too easy to deflect the blade and disarm her.
    She twirled the short sword in her right hand, relishing in the easy victory. She allowed herself a small smirk at the young brunette, who had stepped back with eyes wide. “Thank you,” she said sardonically, twirling the sword again for good measure before putting it in her pack.
    “Look,” said the kid placatingly, seeming intent on trying to talk her way out of this, “we’re all campers here.”
    Livia sneered at her. “Camper?” She snorted derisively. How stupid. “As if I would ever stay at-” she read the words on the girl’s annoyingly orange shirt--seriously, didn’t she know anything about stealth?--“Camp Half-Blood.”
    The look on the girl’s face pleased Livia immensely. What? Oh, no, someone broke through the defenses! How could this possibly have happened? Yeah, right, defenses. That only kept out the monsters, and Livia wasn’t one. Technically.
    “Well,” Livia said coldly, “I’ll be going now.”
    She turned and began heading back to the clearing where she had left Edgar, and the girl yelped, “Wait! Give me back my sword!”
    The brunette couldn’t see it, but Livia’s eyes darkened. She whirled around, lifting her sword again. The kid stopped short, trying to stay out of range.
    She was being a nuisance. Livia thought it would be best not to kill her--she was what, thirteen?--but if she was going to be this persistent on following her… This wouldn’t do.

-------------

Cat watched the older girl’s sword warily.
    “Don’t follow me if you value your life,” the blonde said coldly.
    She turned and stalked off in a different direction than she was originally going in, and Cat frowned at the realization she was heading in the general direction of camp. What the heck? After the girl had gone about ten yards, Cat began following her. She didn’t want to get too close in case the girl started swinging at her again, but she had to know where she was going with her sword. She just didn’t understand where she was headed. Did she even know where she was trying to go? Why did she take Ousia? And why had Cat brought a new weapon she was not trained with to a dangerous forest? She should’ve been smarter than that. They do say that hindsight is 20-20. 
    She could see the edge of the trees in the distance, where the camp lay. The girl kept walking, and Cat frowned. Something wasn’t right about this… And suddenly, the girl disappeared.
    Cat hesitated, then ran forward. No sign of her. No sign of her sword. She had just vanished. What in the world?
    For a moment, she just stood there, stunned by everything that had just happened so suddenly. Then she started running. She had to find Chiron.
Catryn Greyling

Character sheet
Items :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down