Half-Blood Vengeance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

3 posters

Go down

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Empty Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Post  GeneralArin Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:28 pm

We get a lot of common questions from new people, so here's a topic to knock out a lot of those basic questions.
For full information directory, go here.

Characters

• How do I make a new character?
    Just go into the "New Characters" category, and make a new topic. Title this topic with your character's name. This will make it easier for people to find the sheet later on. Copy-paste the character template into your post and fill it out. If you aren't copying it straight from the template topic, make sure you have all the categories on your sheet.

• Why do I need to have an approved character sheet first?
    We require people to fill out a character application and get it approved to help ensure decent characters are being added to the roleplay, to keep a level of in-story consistency, and to help you develop your characters better so you have an easier time roleplaying them.

• Why is it taking so long to get approved?
    Unfortunately, we don't have automatic character checkers installed. Or invented. Because of that, we need to use humans that we put on staff. These humans exist outside of the internet and need to do basic functions such as 'eating' and 'sleeping' and occasionally other functions like 'academics', 'socializing', and 'going on vacation'. We're all here doing this as a hobby, just like you guys, and we do have other things to do than constantly refreshing the page. (Or we're just tired and being lazy. That happens too. We'll get to it, though.)

• What is a fatal flaw?
    Here, a character's fatal flaw is a bit different than the literary definition. We're defining it here as a major personality short coming that causes your character problems. How I usually find this is just by taking the primary aspect of the character's personality, then just exaggerating it until it becomes an issue. For example, my main character Jake is a very determined character. While that's good in the context of persevering through obstacles and firm loyalties, if not kept in check it becomes sheer stubbornness that keeps him from giving up when he's behind or letting things go. He also tends to overwork himself in a single-minded determination to achieve something. If you have a bold, confident character, they might end up being prideful and overconfident. If your character is laid back, they might end up being too lazy and apathetic. Just think about it a bit.

• Can I have a Big Three Parent?
    Ah, The "Big Three", the elder sons of Kronos: Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Everyone likes being the powerful demigod with a guaranteed world-changing decision.  Which means we can't have everyone being a powerful demigod with a world-changing decision. So we limit this by requiring a very, very good application.
    Basically, you need to knock it out of the park and really impress us for us to consider it.

• Can I play as/be related to/know/otherwise reference a canon character?
    No. We much prefer you to make your own unique character free from any canon character references. For one, this site takes place an indiscriminate time after the first series. So no one would know or see the canon characters. They may have heard the stories, but the kids have all grown up and gone away.
    Then the Heroes of Olympus, since it came to be after the site did, is running on a different timeline than we are. So none of those events even happened.

• Can I make a second character?
    Here's a checklist: Have you been an active roleplayer for months? Have you been a decent person? Are your roleplaying skills up to par? Then you might qualify for a second character. Double check with a staff member first. If you do, then make a character. The only extra limitation is that they can't be in the same faction as the first. If your first character was a camper, the second must be either part of the Huntresses of Artemis.

• Why can't I make two characters in camp?
    We need to fill out the roster of the other two factions.

Posting and Roleplaying

• Can I post in multiple topics?
    Yes! Please do. We don't have a very strict timeline here, so go ahead and post away. Just try not to dominate every category on the site, because that's annoying. We also prefer you make new topics over resurrecting a dead one. 'Dead' topics are ones that haven't been posted in for several weeks. Unless you were already involved in it and everyone wants to continue it, please don't post in those. Don't time travel either, stay within the same general time period. This usually means don't go back to before major events like attacks or season changes. If you really want to, that's what the horseplay topic is for.

• Why do people get so upset over me not being approved?
    I already mentioned this in the above category, but you really need to fill out a character application and get it approved before role playing. It's nothing personal, but we would really like to make sure we don't have characters that are either overpowered, poorly crafted, or just plain contradictory to the plot running around clogging things up. It makes things faster in the long run, trust me.

Story and Plot

• When is Capture the Flag?
    Good question. Capture the Flag and other site-wide events are very hard to coordinate. People just don't have the same times and patterns of being available, which usually leads to either a complete stand-still or several characters being left in the dust as two or three go on a posting spree. We haven't worked out a proper system yet, but when the staff's ready to try again, we'll let you know.

• Can I go on a quest?
    Probably not. Sorry to be so blunt, but a lot of work goes into setting up a quest or even just a short mission. First, it has to make sense within the context of the story. The plot is opening up a bit to allow for more options for missions, but it would still go first to older, more experienced campers. Quests are long sessions where you will be locked out of the main camp area until you and your companions either finish the quest or give up on the topic and come up with a satisfying wrap up. (Clear the wrap-up outcomes with the staff, please.)

• Can I make my own quest?
    Probably not. Again, sorry, but these quests must make sense within the overall plot and they need to allow for other people to participate. We (or at least I) am willing to hear out a well thought-out sidequest to try and fit it in, but keep in mind that these are just suggestions. We don't have to (and probably won't) allow it. If you're determined to make a minor plot, make sure it stays minor. Your character cannot be the chosen one of the universe and suddenly render everyone on the site as side characters. We're all main characters here.

• Why doesn't the time of year match up the actual time of year?
    That's because the time it takes to post never correlates with actual time passed. An hour can take weeks to get through with the delays between posts or a week could take hours with two bored people and a lot of timeskips. It's hard to tell and even harder to regulate. Then on this site, the summer is a lot more important and busy than all the other times of year. Our joking proportions are: "87% Summer, 12% Winter, 1% Fall. What is Spring?" Since just about everything important happens in Summer, that's when most of the posting will take place. We occasionally switch up the season, usually to Winter (with a quick stop in Fall to start school).

• What is the plot?
    We have a topic updated with the major plot summary right here.

• Will you ever add Romans?
    No. No we won't.

• Why won't you add Romans?
    Technically, this site is on an alternate timeline then the current series, because it was created before the Heroes of Olympus premiered. Adding another faction to be a part of would make the site much too large, and would split the roleplay even more than it already is. Then we'd have to figure out what to do with them. All in all, the appeal is vastly outweighed by an overwhelming amount of work and headaches. Go check out this alternate universe/expansion pack instead: Reign of Rome. Now stop asking me about Romans.

GeneralArin
GeneralArin
RP Supervisor/SoldierA

Drachmae : 6263
Location : In my own little world....it's okay: they know me there.

Character sheet
Olympian Parent: Hephaestus
Items :

Back to top Go down

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Empty Re: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Post  Shay Mon May 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I have a question. How could you judge how many years someone has been at camp? I know it would be based off the character application, but what if you've been on the website for more years? And also, what if you've been inactive?
Shay
Shay

Drachmae : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Estelle Tue May 05, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Shay, just FYI, there's a thread in Out of Character that's titled Ask the Admin.
Estelle
Estelle

Drachmae : 4326

Character sheet
Olympian Parent:
Items :

Back to top Go down

Post  Shay Tue May 05, 2015 6:43 pm

oh lol ok
Shay
Shay

Drachmae : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down